Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 1: How I became Lord of the Lands



As I am the hardest of hardcore gamers I purchased Animal Crossing New Leaf, and this blog is dedicated to my exploits in said game. So if you for some reason have an aversion to screenshots and reaction text (because you're a loser) then ya'll better get out of here because that's pretty much all you'll be finding here. So without further ado my first day in New Leaf:


I arrived via train after meeting with Rover, the beloved face of the Animal Crossing series. We exchanged the usual pleasantries of setting the clock  and deciding what face I would have. I was however pleasantly surprised to get a say in the broad layout of my town even if I was only given four separate option.


I liked how the station had a nice rustic "small town" feel to it. I wasn't given much time to look around as I was immediately thrown into the proverbial lions den.

 

 Once outside I was met by a cabaret of people proclaiming me their new god-king. Suffice to say I accepted.

 

 After moseying on over to my new office I was told by a dog that had been following me that she was meant to be my secretary. She calls herself Isabelle. Personally? I like her moxie.

 

Isabelle told me that they didn't have any sort of castles or mansions laying around that they would give me, but directed me to a "Tom Nook" person. She told me that he would set me up. Honestly I feel a tad apprehensive about this plan.


  Tom Nook seemed like an amicable fellow he gave me the lay of the land and told me I could have my mansion built anywhere I wanted. He decided it would be best if he went with me to expedite the paperwork involved in turning the land over to me. Naturally this hindered my ability to explore.
 


I chose a plot of land close to both the river and one of the towns stores, that way I could easily turn over any fish I caught. However I was told by Nook that construction of my house wouldn't start until I gave him "bells". Frankly I don't understand why he would want payment via musical instruments. On the upside he decided to lend me a tent until I can obtain these bells for him.



Now that I'd obtained a place to sleep I returned to the Mayors Office to ask Isabelle what my duties are as the resident man in charge. Her response was to shove a bunch of forms in my face and demand I fill them up. I didn't ask for this.


 Next thing I know I'm dragged out to the middle of town and told that as my first act as Mayor I will be planting a tree to mark a "New Beginning" for the town. I can't be imagining things when I think that that's a pretty dark statement. It actually makes me wonder why I was immediately elected to an office that should have been filled when I arrived. Que Sera Sera, I guess.



Isabelle told me to take the day off in order to get a feel for the town. Being a fresh face in town I opted to introduce myself to the many residents. Melba, Antonio, Apple, Alfonso, and Camofrog. These five are now more or less my wards, so its best that I make sure they are at least comfortable around me... or I at least need to feel comfortable around them.



After getting a well enough feel for the town at large I decided to visit Nook and inquire as to what bells were. My to my embarrassment he explain that bells were the local currency and that before my house would even be built I'd have to front 10,000 bells. Suddenly I liked Nook a lot less. Luckily he's afforded me time to scrounge up the bells and won't force me into homelessness yet.


Nooks Real Estate office is situated along Main Street along with many other establishments like a tailor, museum and the town post office. I made sure to pop in and alert them that there was a change in management.



Money. I needed it bad. Without it my future was one where I'd be spending all winter neck deep in snow. One of the townsfolk told me that sometimes money comes out of rocks. I had nothing to lose to I borrowed a shovel and started smacking a rock. Lo and behold 18,000 bells magicked itself into existence, not being one to question go fortune I pocketed all of it.


Ol' Tom was pretty surprised when I strolled into his office with a hefty bag of bells. We made the exchange and he promised I'd have a house by tomorrow. I don't see how anything bad could come of this.


 Since there was still time left in the day I decided to spend it digging holes. I assumed nothing would come of it but apparently this is a town where fossils occur in topsoil. Mysteries upon mysteries.
 

One can only dig so many holes before he tires. Feeling a sense of success unheard of for a person who hadn't done a single things at attain his status, so I decided to turn in. The tent was much bigger on the inside then it looked but that didn't change the face that I'm sleeping on the ground. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will sleep on the floor of an ACTUAL HOUSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment